[wikka-community] Guidelines for Wikka requirements and DB schema

Krzysztof Trybowski trybowski
Thu Feb 7 21:13:54 GMT 2008

Dnia 7 lutego 2008 Brian Koontz napisal(a):
>> If a change in database schema is needed is it better to add a table
>> or change the schema of existing one? Is there a page where changes of
>> schema are reported? I believe all changes to schema should be stored
>> in one place, so that people contributing their code know if their
>> add-ons are compatible with other add-ons so that they don't break
>> something (like original MostVisited action is incompatible with
>> hiding pages -- it shows hidden pages too).

> This comment really needs to be discussed within the context of
> WkkaCase.  To try and figure this out without bringing WikkaCase
> functionality into the picture simply delays the implementation of
> WikkaCase, and generates more work for implementors.

Brian,
if this is supposed to be a mean to put some order in extensions
development and keep all the development-related guides in one place
-- I'm all for it.

Having read http://wikkawiki.org/WikkaCase the following doubts
appeared to me. The whole system seems complicated: it makes a
contributor learn at least three additional systems in order just to
make a contribution: the tracker, svn and phpdoc. While I understand
that this is beneficial, it's also an overkill for people that just
wish to make a small contribution of their ideas/code etc. Sometimes
the contribution is more about AN IDEA, not A CODE, since the code
change consist of just one line.

Therefore I believe the full-featured system is good, and putting a
contribution in it will be a sign that it meets at least some quality
standards, But it shouldn't be mandatory. Let's just let people place
their code on the wiki, and give them the possibility to organize
their work better through WikkaCase, at the same time strengthening
the chance that their contribution will be recognized and included
into Wikka distribution.

What is necessary first is a sensible technical documentation. Wikka
Coding Guide is good, but only covers style of coding and naming
conventions (not in a complete way though, see:
http://wikkawiki.org/CodingGuidelinesTextConstants). The API
documentation is coming, which is very good. We still need a place
where:
  -database structure is explained
  -database structure official changes are described
  -database structure unofficial changes and proposals are discussed
  (authors of contributions involving changing of a DB could place the
  information there)
  -someone would post and maintain the requirements of compatibility
  (for example, do we support MySQL 4.0, or is 4.1 fine, is PHP 4.x
  compatibility required or not).

Of course, people involved in Wikka project won't have enough time to
check if requirements are met, but at least external contributors
would know what to adhere to.

Other issues that could be covered by some guide is: "what do I do to
have my contribution included in the main distribution".

Anyway, what should I do to take part in this WikkaCase thing? It
registration already open? Are the guides there?

Regards, KT

--
Krzysztof Trybowski
  Gadu-Gadu: 1458144 --- Skype: trybowski