[wikka-community] Tracking contributors IP addresses

Dario Taraborelli dartar
Sun Sep 30 16:46:33 GMT 2007

(moving the discussion to the community list to give the good example ;)

As part of the antispam features to be introduced in 1.1.6.4, it
recently came up in a discussion on IRC that it'd be nice to enable
tracking of IP addresses for any kind of modification (at least edits/
comments to start with).

It just didn't occur to me that WazoO already contributed some
interesting code/DB modifications that we could easily adapt:  http://
wikkawiki.org/TrackIPaddressMod - thanks WazoO!

Now that the 1.1.6.4 antispam branch is in place we should consider
opening tickets for 1.1.6.4-specific features/task, including this
one, if we all agree this is a feature that should be implemented.

More generally (and after 1.1.6.4 is out) it would be interesting to
log not just edits and comments but also page creation (useful to
identify new pages), page deletion (currently page deletion doesn't
leave any trace in the DB) and possibly ACL/ownership changes. I like
the way Trac logs all these different events. There's already a
ticket for this enhancement: http://wush.net/trac/wikka/ticket/143

Dario Taraborelli
Wikka Development Team
http://wikkawiki.org