[wikka-community] About UTF-8

Brian Koontz brian
Sun May 1 15:16:26 GMT 2011

On Sun, May 01, 2011 at 06:12:38PM +0200, Michael Bonfils wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> First, I want to thank you for the great job you have done !
>
> Now, I've several questions about handling UTF-8 page in 1.3.1
> From http://wikkawiki.org/HandlingUTF8, 1.3.1 should work with UTF8
> but I don't see any utf-8 stuff related in
> http://docs.wikkawiki.org/WhatsNew or
> http://docs.wikkawiki.org/WikkaReleaseNotes131 .

Michael--

The UTF-8 code wasn't quite ready for 1.3.1, so I had to pull it out
of that release.  I've updated the HandlingUTF8 to reflect its
inclusion in 1.4.  Thanks for pointing this out.

Most of the UTF-8 implementation is complete.  The sticking point
right now is the best way to convert existing Wikka databases to UTF-8
during upgrades.  It's not an easy problem to solve, and what we do
have in place wasn't quite ready for the recent release.

> If I copy/paste the poetry from
> http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/utf8.html , It's work when I paste. The
> page is also well displayed.
> But when I re-edit the page, all extended  characters was converted in
> &#XXXX . I've found that an old discussion on wikkawiki about this.
> If I modify a line with internation, history is displayed correctly.

This is expected behavior with 1.3.1.  You can test with trunk
(https://wush.net/svn/wikka/trunk) and should find that it works as
expected with your test case.

  --Brian

--