[wikka-community] Offering users a "Print Page" option

Brian Koontz brian
Wed Sep 23 03:55:32 GMT 2009

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 08:33:51PM -0700, Vern View wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have just been introduced to Wikka Wiki (1.2 p1) and I'm having a
> lot of fun setting up a website for my students.

Another teacher!  I used WikkaWiki with my students last year...this
year the school district set up Moodle, so I got too busy with that to
really get the wiki back up and running, but one of my new goals now
is to integrate WikkaWiki with Moodle.

> >From the newbie perspective, is there a way to offer users a button
> >to click that displays the page without headers and footers? I want
> >my students to view my page inside of the LMS, but without the
> >header and footer. However, I don't want to change the display
> >(skin) that I am currently using to edit the wiki.

Yes, very possible, if you're willing to do some hacking at the code.
I use such a setup on my business site (www.exatorq.com), removing
headers and footers for the "public" view, but keeping them intact for
the "admin" view (makes administration much easier).

The first step is to create an "invisible" wiki.  There are two
resources to use here:

http://docs.wikkawiki.org/InvisibleWiki (Dario's excellent guide--read
first)
http://wikkawiki.org/WikiInAVacuum (my followup notes to Dario's
guide)

These two pages will give you some ideas to start with.  When you get
into your project, drop me a note and I'll share some of the things I
did on my business wiki to "flip" the headers/footers on and off.

  --Brian

P.S.  I just noticed your subject...there's some code on this page I
wrote to dump wiki pages sans header / footer:

http://wikkawiki.org/HTMLHandler

Unfortunately, this did *not* make it into 1.2, so I need to update
the page...

--
Brian Koontz
Wikka Development Team