[wikka-community] So long, and thanks for all the fish

Masin Al-Dujaili masin_aldujaili at yahoo.de
Mon Sep 14 07:46:18 UTC 2020

Thanks a lot, Brian, for your dedication in the last years. I'm really sorry I couldn't find the time to help. But I was always astonished how you still kept the boat running. I expected the end much, much earlier, and yet, you brought WikkaWiki into the year 2020.

I have to admit that my enthusiasm dwindled years ago. I still haven't updated a few WikkaWiki 1.1.6 and 1.2 instances due to not having the time to adapt all my modifications. I fear the time of Wikis –or at least the time of Wiki plurality– is over. Mediawiki is the first choice most the time just because it's famous, not because it's the one fitting the purpose. For simple websites Wordpress is the go-to-solution nowadays. I guess there's just no niche anymore forsomething like WikkaWiki.

I'm a little bit sad because of this development. But I'll always remember fondly WikkaWiki and its ease to hack as well as its small but friendly and welcoming community. I had some ideas to increase its usability and userfriendliness but I never had the time to work on it.

Thanks again, and all the best!
Masin