[wikka-community] Some questions about translations

Brian Koontz brian at wikkawiki.org
Fri Sep 2 01:09:30 UTC 2016

On Fri, Aug 26, 2016 at 01:31:24AM +0300, Alexandr wrote:
> Hi, and first of all sorry for bad english :).
>
> I'm trying to understand how WikkaWiki translations must be made
> now, and it seems that there is an old translations system made by
> define() in /lang/* and a new, made by gettext in /locale/*
>
> I made some debug of code to look how it works, and it seems that
> files in /lang/* are still in use, but most part of constants in
> files like en.inc.php are not used.
>
> So, as i can understand - i must translate strings in *.po file and
> put it to a new locale in /locale/ dir... but what i must to do with
> /lang? Seems that i must create a new dir there and change I18N_LANG
> define to the new locale name, and there is no any reason to touch
> any other defines there, is it correct?
> Also, seems that /lang/**/default/* files use _() gettext function,
> so, this files must not be touched?

Alexandr--

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this, and thanks for your
interest!

Your observations are spot on.  There are still some actions that use the
old lang/ translations, so I've kept them around.  At some point I plan on
checking one more time and deleting it.  More importantly, the
lang/defaults/ dir contains the pages that are created upon a new Wikka
installation. As you correctly point out, these use the gettext library and
would optionally need to be translated as well.

There is some more information here:

http://docs.wikkawiki.org/LocalizationProposal

Does this help?

  --Brian