[wikka-community] Announcing the release of WikkaWiki 1.3.6

David Lee dlee at calldei.com
Thu Dec 25 04:22:25 UTC 2014

Thank you Brian !
One task I have had multiple volunteers attempt (then give up - what you get for free labor :)
is a way of 'Exporting' the wiki to a neutral  semantic structured form.
( Docbook would be nice :) but just turning the markdown into structural xml tags of any sort - possibly the intermediate form before HTML generation) would be awesome.
I had one person get about 90% there using a python script reverse engineering the markdown code ... but got abandoned.

Why ?
I love Wiki for ease of authoring - I wouldn't have documented as much as I have without it ...
but its now "stuck" in one form - I can't produce a PDF or a Docbook or a standalone HTML or abbreviated per-command help ... all of that 'should be easy' - *would* be easy if the documents were  parsable into the semantic form before the presentation form.

Table of Contents is a great example - but imagine the whole thing in different forms - summary pages, standalone (offline docs), native OS .help files ,

A "wafer thin" task for your copious spare time :)
Or maybe a volunteer or two might contribute - I might be able to find some  , myself included, if the task was split up.

Without that - I face the no-win task of either dual-maintenance of the same content forever, or abandoning wiki and starting over with a more tedious but ultimately more efficient source markup  that can serve up more than one output format;    I doubt I'm alone either ....

David A. Lee
dlee at calldei.com
http://www.xmlsh.org