[wikka-community] Spam

Brian Koontz brian
Mon Oct 24 00:59:30 GMT 2011

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 10:21:05AM +0700, John Francis Lee wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just discovered
>
>  1. a whole raft of bogus users signed up
>  2. a whole raft of admin(!) pages created by the bogus users
>
> I deleted the users en masse, but their bogus pages remained. I see
> no way to delete the pages en masse. I'll have to delete them all,
> one at a time.

Check out AdminUsers.

> This is a show stopper for wikka as far as I am concerned, if this
> is the only way to handle this.

Did you ever consider using the captcha module?  Or maybe enabling the
invitation feature?  Both are rather effective at dealing with script
bots (which it sounds like you ended up with).

> First, I had no idea that new user accounts had been created. I had
> assumed I'd be notified at the attempted creation of user accounts
> and allowed or disallowed account creation at that point.

Account creation isn't moderated.  You can disable new account
creation in wikka.config.php, or you can use one of the two methods
above to deal with open registrations and spambots.

> Can I do that somehow?

All the Wikka docs are here:

http://docs.wikkawiki.org/HomePage

Check out allow_user_registration here:

http://docs.wikkawiki.org/ConfigurationOptions

> Same with posting... first posting reviewed, if passed further
> postings allowed.

A moderation queue would be useful, just not implemented yet.  In
fact, I found an enhancement request here:

http://wush.net/trac/wikka/ticket/159

A few more years and it might become reality!

I'm always hoping that someone on this list might step forward and ask
if we need some help...

  --Brian

--
Brian Koontz