[wikka-community] permissions on wikka.config.php

john francis lee jfl
Thu Dec 30 07:33:13 GMT 2010

On 12/30/2010 11:55:04 AM, Brian Koontz wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 11:05:00AM +0700, john francis lee wrote:
> > Yeah, apache runs as www-data... I
> >
> >   chmod 444 wikka.config.php
> >
> > and now it works. But now anyone can read my passwords aand other
> > settings, right?
>
> No, not necessarily.  Only if a user somehow accesses your machine.
> To be on the safe side, you can always change the ownership to
> www-data and then leave your perms as 400.
>
> > I left config/ at 700. wikka.config.php is in the root... maybe it
> > shouldn't be?
>
> wikka.config.php needs to be in the top-level directory.

Ok. Thanks very much. I'm very impressed with WikkaWiki... although I
have trouble spelling its name right... WakkaWikki WikkaWikki
WikkaWiki.. I've got it right now.

I'm impressed by its leanness and openness... I'll investigate
invisible mode. I've been hacking away at a website, doing stuff like
user accounts and authentication myself that must have been done a
million times before, and better than I have done them, so WikkaWiki is
very attractive.

Most of the project dates seem to end in 2007. There seems to be a lull
in development, is tht right?. I am happy its in php, though. That's
what I've been using and all the python that seems so attractive has
been troublesome to get working with apache.

Thanks again for your help. I'll see if I can't re-implement what I've
got now on top of WikkaWiki.

Can you point me to some menu documentation, for a starter? :)