[wikka-community] line breaks mid 'markup'

Dario Taraborelli dartar
Thu Sep 10 08:26:04 GMT 2009

Hi Dave,

Timothy is right - support for different kinds of whitespace as a
separator in forced links was tacitly introduced in the formatter to
capture potential exceptions.
However, our official documentation (FormattingRules) is that users
should only use the space character. I might be wrong, but I am not
aware of any user systematically using these loose constraints on
separators in forced links as a rule and we would definitely
discourage their use. In the case of tables: line breaks within cells
are not supported as new lines are used as row separators. This
doesn't prevent users from using the --- markup to generate new lines
inside cells.

In the next release (using trunk as a codebase, after merging back 1.2-
specific changes), the regular expressions used by the formatter will
be stored in a library to simplify their maintenance and
documentation. This should facilitate expressing formatting rules in
other ways (hopefully including BNF).

Dario