[wikka-community] JFusion and Wiki converters

Dario Taraborelli dartar
Fri Oct 2 10:40:34 GMT 2009

Hi Erlend,

just a short word about planning - we are now busy with a delicate
merge operation, but I think I could start to see if I can drop the
username restrictions reasonably soon without breaking other things.

AFAIK there is no universal wiki2wiki converter, the reason being that
wikis tend to pursue some sort of markup lock-in strategy. Markup
standardization proposals (such as Creole) haven't been tremendously
successful so far, so in general, once you are stuck with a specific
engine it's pretty difficult to migrate. The best way I know to import
content (if not the whole DB) is to go the wiki2html + html2wiki way.

Wikka can currently import the DB from legacy Wakka installs and there
was someone working on an importer from WackoWiki as well. I'd love to
see more contribution in this direction (e.g. people who moved to
Wikka from X and had to write code to migrate the content and userbase).

Dario