[wikka-community] Call for beta testers for Wikka 1.2 RC

Brian Koontz brian
Wed Aug 19 21:48:33 GMT 2009

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 12:09:11AM +0200, Krzysztof Trybowski wrote:
> What bugs me is that is referenced to from your HomePage,
> "Wikka-unstable-20090819-r1414.zip" that is also being marked as "built
> nightly" doesn't reflect all changes made to 1.2. Now it's unclear whether
> the "trunk" version is what's left from abandoned ideas or if it's still was
> is going to come for Wikka. The "freshest" version you mention can't be
> downloaded from web, can it? Only from SVN, right?

As the SCM manager, I can explain (and take full responsibility while
I'm at it):

The "unstable" build has *always* been the latest trunk build (this
is explained in a separate link in the Downloads box)..
Unfortunately, the last several Wikka iterations have been made off a
side branch, with manual ports between the trunk and branch.  So
"fresh" is relative:  The 1.2 branch is the best available for the
Wikka side branch, while trunk represents most (if not all) of the
changes that have been made on the 1.2 branch.  However, there are new
features in trunk that have *not* been back-ported to the 1.2 branch,
and probably will never be.

After 1.2, the Wikka devs' first priority will be to merge any
remaining branch enhancements to trunk.  After that, our release model
will change such that trunk will always represent "current"
development (much as is done with the OpenBSD SCM model), with
releases branched off of trunk at the time of release.  The "unstable"
designation will cease to exist after this merge is complete.  We will
no longer maintain separate branches for extended periods of
development time (other than for major architectural changes).

> I'm not exactly sure what I should test apart from table markup (nice
> addiction) and menu configuration files. I didn't find any UI for theme
> switching and the issues on trac regard rather smaller issues, while I would
> expect "big" changes for jump from 1.1 to 1.2. Should I test those smaller
> issues? What is the status of "new directory structure" of 1.1.7? It seems to
> be dropped, but is it really?

Currently, there is not a UI for themes, so theme switching must be
done in the config file (default 1.2 install includes "default" and
"light"...you must change the "theme" config param manually).  A UI is
planned.  Tables, themes, and menus are, in fact, rather large
functionality increments (or so we believe).  Test what you have time
for...even a successful (or unsuccessful) install is valuable info to
have.

--
Brian Koontz
Wikka Development Team