[wikka-community] Call for beta testers for Wikka 1.2 RC

Krzysztof Trybowski trybowski
Wed Aug 19 22:09:11 GMT 2009

Hello Dario and everybody!

Dario, thanks for your email. I was already aware that 1.2 was about to be
released and I planned to install it. I just did.

> Would you be willing to help us crash-test the 1.2 RC release (or even
> better the freshest branches/1.2 version from the repo)?.

What bugs me is that is referenced to from your HomePage,
"Wikka-unstable-20090819-r1414.zip" that is also being marked as "built
nightly" doesn't reflect all changes made to 1.2. Now it's unclear whether
the "trunk" version is what's left from abandoned ideas or if it's still was
is going to come for Wikka. The "freshest" version you mention can't be
downloaded from web, can it? Only from SVN, right?

I'm not exactly sure what I should test apart from table markup (nice
addiction) and menu configuration files. I didn't find any UI for theme
switching and the issues on trac regard rather smaller issues, while I would
expect "big" changes for jump from 1.1 to 1.2. Should I test those smaller
issues? What is the status of "new directory structure" of 1.1.7? It seems to
be dropped, but is it really?

What I miss the most is support for accented characters
(internationalization). I mean, come on! It's 2009 -- all the technologies
are there for over 10 years now (and I mean unicode). There are known ways to
use unicode, but they all have some drawbacks (like search not working).

I believe adding support for unicode is not that hard, now that MySQL
supports it natively. Of course there's a question of supporting MySQL
versions such old as 3.x -- my opinion is to just drop such support. After
all this is a free software, openly available, hardware is much faster now
than in 2001 when 3.23 was made available, so why using such an old version?
For example when it comes to browsers wikka doesn't support for example
Netscape 4, quite the opposite: it's design is relatively modern in terms of
HTML code.

I'll write more about my 1.2 testing later. Time to go to bed now.
Best regards, KT

--
Krzysztof Trybowski
  Gadu-Gadu: 1458144 --- Skype: trybowski