[wikka-community] Migrating to new server

Frank Kibbish kibbish
Tue Jun 24 21:13:23 GMT 2008

Dario;

Thanks very much.  You hit the nail on the head... I had everything set up
correctly except for the host name.  I assumed (and shouldn't have) that the
correct value would be "localhost", but the new hosting company didn't make
it that simple.  Once I determined what the correct host name should be, the
site came right up.

Thanks again for the very prompt assistance.

Now to start planning the upgrade to 1.1.6.4...

Cheers.

Frank

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 1:45 PM, Dario Taraborelli <dartar at wikkawiki.org>
wrote:

> Frank,
> moving the files and importing a complete SQL dump from the previous server
> is the right way to migrate your wiki. If you get a connection error,
> there's probably something wrong in your DB settings in wikka.config.php:
> double check that MySQL username, password, database name, hostname and
> table prefix match and that your user has privileges to access the DB.
>
> Dario
>

> On 24 Jun 2008, at 21:36, Frank Kibbish wrote:
>
> Our group is migrating to a new host, and therefore a new server.  The
> normal process for this would of course be to install wikka before trying to
> migrate any data, but before I was even told about this, our site
> administrator did a massive copy/paste of every file in the wiki, and then
> created a blank MySQL database on the server.  He then sent me a message and
> asked me to create all the tables and migrate the SQL data from the old
> server to the new.  In theory, this sounds like it should work, but is it
> really that simple?  I tried doing it that way, but I keep getting an error
> that says, "*The wiki is currently unavailable. Error: Unable to connect
> to the MySQL database."
>
> *I've updated the wikka.config.php file with the new database name, user
> name and password, but obviously there's more to it than that.
>
> (By the way, we're on 1.1.6.2.  I know we should upgrade, but I have a
> limited window to get the site moved before our old hosting agreement
> expires, so I'll do the upgrade later.)
>
> Thanks,
>   Frank
>

> --