[wikka-community] Mass Deleting Comments

Brian Koontz brian
Sat Jul 5 13:44:16 GMT 2008

On Fri, Jul 04, 2008 at 12:00:41PM -0700, David W. Robinson wrote:
> This </font>is my first post to this list although I have been using
> this wiki for quite some time now and really like it. Unfortunately I
> have been spammed in such a way that there are over 2000 comments on
> some pages that are selling the usual porn sites and male enhancement
> products. I can of course go through and laboriously delete all these
> comments one by one but was hoping that there was a plugin or some
> other way of automatically deleting all the comments from a particular
> page.

We do have such a plugin running on the main wikka site...but for some
reason it's never made it into any of our releases.  Maybe Dario or
Marjolein can shed some light on this.

> To prevent this from happening again, I have only allowed admins to add
> comments which essentially shuts down all commenting ability. If anyone
> has suggestions as to how I could open up commenting again but prevent
> the kind of mass commenting I was getting, I would be really interested
> in your thoughts.

In addition to Yan's suggestions, you can also (as of 1.1.6.3)
restrict comments to registered users only.  You did not specify
whether the comments were made by anonymous spammers or spammers who
created accounts.  But if you're running >= 1.1.6.3, the default
comment post ACL (in wikka.config.php) is "*", which means anyone can
comment.

If spam registrations are a problem, I'd also recommend upgrading to
1.1.6.5 and implementing registrations with a required passphrase or
invite code, or even using one of the UR captcha modules.

  --Brian

--
Brian Koontz
Wikka Development Team