[wikka-community] How unstable is "unstable"?

Brian Koontz brian
Mon Jan 14 05:59:37 GMT 2008

On Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 01:08:37AM +0100, Krzysztof Trybowski wrote:
> I decided I going to try unstable version of Wikka. While I understand
> that this is unfinished, I'd like to know what are known issues with
> it and if I should expect any bigger problems.

KT, I am currently running the unstable release in conjunction with the
volunteer work I do on OpenNIC:

http://wiki.opennicproject.org

It has been running for a number of months now with very few problems,
all of which have been minor in scope.  My recommendation would be to
visit the issue tracker at http://wush.net/trac/wikka and browse the
1.1.7 tickets (click View Tickets, then the 1.1.7 Tickets report link)
for an idea of what we're working on.

> Before I started modifying latest stable, but it seems some of my
> needs are solved by unstable and thus it makes no sense to reinvent
> the wheel.

The major difference between the two is that the upcoming 1.1.6.4
release will have some new admin tools and more anti-spam and anti-bot
measures.  These won't be immediately available in 1.1.7 until we get
them ported up from 1.1.6.4.  So if you're running Wikka internally,
there should be no problem.  If you're running Wikka on a
public-facing site, you may want to use an invitation code (such as
found at http://wikkawiki.org/UserSettings) or a captcha scheme (I've
updated the code at http://wikkawiki.org/FreeCap for 1.1.7, and you
can see it in action at http://wiki.opennicproject.org/UserSettings).

> When shall we expect new stable to be released?

After 1.1.6.4 :)  Really, I don't know.

> Are currently existing user-contributed actions compatible with
> "unstable"? For example "UserAdmin", "PageAdminAction" etc. Or are
> they integrated?

New features in 1.1.6.4 won't be immediately available for 1.1.7 until
they have been ported up.  This ticket
(http://wush.net/trac/wikka/ticket/575) might be of interest.

> Where can I find more info on the unstable?

At the moment, the Trac link above is probably your best bet for
up-to-date info.

> Is the unstable ready to be translated?

I will defer to Dario or Yan for the answer to this one.

  --Brian