[wikka-community] A note on template files - feedback welcome

Dario Taraborelli dartar
Fri Feb 1 07:23:01 GMT 2008

1.1.6.4 introduces a small but important change in the way templates
function. The header and footer files have been moved from the /
actions folder to a new /templates folder so as to avoid confusion
with proper actions. This is a change with important consequences on
the upgrade procedure, especially for those users who customized the
layout of their wiki. I've added a few notes in this sense to http://docs.wikkawiki.org/UpgradeNotes

By doing this, I am a bit concerned that we may be introducing a new
convention in 1.1.6.4 that will probably change again in 1.1.7, when
template files will be included in a folder with its own name, as part
of the modifications to make Wikka theme-ready e.g.

/templates
	/default
		footer.php
		header.php

I was wondering whether it would make sense to prepare this change
*before* 1.1.6.4 is out, introducing a new config option
("wikka_theme") with value "default", moving the templates to a
"default" folder and changing the page generation methods accordingly.

This would save us the effort of explaining our users what happened to
the template files in 1.1.6.4 and again in 1.1.7 .
The changes needed to make this work are really small, but I'd like to
hear from you if you see any potential issue.

Dario

--
Dario Taraborelli
Wikka Development Team