[wikka-community] [wikka-devs] RSS problems (problem if same machine?)

Marjolein Katsma javawoman
Tue Oct 9 17:24:51 GMT 2007

Mahefa,

(CC to the community list - by exception - to keep this together.)

At 16:43 2007-10-09, you wrote:
>I posted a possible schema on the community list.
>To test if our demo server cannot serve 2 pages at the same time,
>just try a script like
><?php
>  $fp = fopen('http://demo.wikkawiki.org/HomePage', 'r');
>?>

When I read that mail I immediately thought of RSS.

Brilliant - I believe this could be (finally!) the explanation for our
long-standing and elusive "RSS problem".

Now, something rattled in the back of my mind about reading seomthing about
PHP and threading, so I did a quickie search on the site - and found this:
http://nl3.php.net/manual/hk/faq.installation.php#faq.installation.apache2

         "The major feature that draws people to Apache 2 is threading. On
Windows where most basic libraries are, and must be, threadsafe, Apache 2
does actually make sense and it would be good to work out the kinks on that
platform. However, on UNIX there are a lot of basic libraries where thread
safety is an unknown. And this is not about PHP extensions, it is about
3rd-party libraries underneath PHP's hundreds of extensions. (...)"

So, basically, we cannot count on threading support in PHP (unless the
server runs on Windows!). Ick.

So yes, we have a simple deadlock here.

I think that nails it. How to solve it though, is another matter entirely...