[wikka-community] Category markup

Dario Taraborelli dario.taraborelli
Wed May 30 10:40:45 GMT 2007

Hi Masin,

a quick reaction (I'm at work).

> Sure. I'd greatly like to discuss this topic -- but Trac is
> currently closed for us poor non-privileged freelancers ;-). Where
> will it be discussed then?

I've sent another email to Wush and I hope this will be fixed soon.
In the meantime development-related discussions should be hosted at
wikkawiki.org

> I think, the normal behaviour should be to just link to any page
> without categorizing a page by accident only by putting a link to
> another page in it.

I thoroughly agree on this and I believe we should consider category
membership as something that is not dependent on linking.

> I like the way of giving markup additional information or
> parameters as it is proposed for
> PageAndCategoryDivisionInACategory. It seems more consequent than
> the approach in #476.

The way I see it, adding a page to a category should either be done
via special actions or by a dedicated field in the edit screen. I
know some people like the idea of linking as a quick way to add to a
category, but I agree the current system is very poorly designed.

As for the [[(...).......]] syntax, let's keep in mind that we are
going to consolidate the use of bracketed markup, following the
scheme introduced for tables: () should be used to pass parameters to
the relevant formatter, whereas {} should be used to add style
selectors to the element. See http://docs.wikkawiki.org/
TableMarkupReference for reference. Ideally this should be extended
to different kinds of Wikka markup (links, code blocks, floats, lists
etc.) so if we want to use something like a [[(cat)......]] parameter
for category membership we should be aware of the above proposal.

> But for point (3) I have no right idea. The idea of TypedPages
> might work as well as many other ideas. We could even bring the
> 'handler' field in the page database to some use: Currently, all
> rows in the wikka_pages table have the handler set to page.

FYI the handler column has been removed from the page table in trunk
because it didn't make any sense.
See http://wush.net/trac/wikka/ticket/446

tbc

Dario